(Q)(Ref:GE3)I have just seen a program on television concerning mosaic art done on furniture. The art form originated in France and is named after Picasso. Can anyone tell me where I can find more information on this form of mosaic art?

(A)The mosaic technique I think you are referring to is called Pique Assiette. It is indeed French but named after Raymond Eduard Isidore, born in 1900. "Because he used discarded pieces of glass and broken dishes, his neighbors mocked him with the name Picassiette, which loosely translates as "Plate stealer". A wonderful book explaining how to do this is, Bits and Pieces MOSAICS by Marlene Hurley Marshall. The above in quotes are from her book.




All content is copyright of © Mosaic Matters and its contributors.
All rights reserved

Mosaic Matters is:
Editor: Paul Bentley
Web Manager/Designer: Andy Mitchell